The first meetings to establish a museum in New London began in late 1994. It was a joint effort of community citizens and the Chamber of Commerce. The Dover Historical Society was formed in 1995. This brick building was donated to house the museum by Chester and Ila Coleman.
The Purpose was to establish a historical museum in New London, Iowa which provided for the recognition and preservation of historical artifacts of New London and the surrounding areas.
In 1996 the structure was placed on the NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORICAL PLACES.
New London’s Depot was demolished. This 1906 building was donated by J. J. Nichting Co. of Pilot Grove. This depot was moved to New London and restored in 2012. It houses a large collection of railroad tools and memorabilia donated by Marvin Klos.